Saturday, August 9, 2008

Ezra Levant For President Of Everything

I hereby nominate and pledge to support Ezra Levant for any elected office that he ever chooses to pursue.

My only qualm had been that I've never seen an unequivocal statement from Levant saying that he's pro-life. A politician's position on abortion is a litmus test for my vote. I will never vote for anyone who sees killing children in the name of "choice" as acceptable.

I still haven't found a clear statement from Levant himself. However, everything I've read from him is consistent with a pro-life position. Being pro-life generally correlates closely with being sensible and conservative (which are very close to being redundant terms).

Now some Googling has informed me that he was a featured speaker at the Alberta Pro-Life Alliance Association's 2005 Life conference (or at least scheduled to be - I haven't seen any reports from after the conference). Good enough for me to give a unqualified endorsement. I know from personal involvement that speakers don't get invited to these type of conferences if their "doctrine isn't sound", unless they're specifically invited - and promoted - as a voice from the other side, for debating purposes.


I'm writing about Levant again because he just scored a major (if somewhat pyrrhic) victory. The "discrimination" complaint that was filed against him has been dismissed. The good guys won.

However, much to his credit, Ezra isn't satisfied. He refuses to take this victory lying down, and for good reason. He hasn't been vindicated in the sense of someone saying "You didn't do anything wrong." Instead, some bureaucrats decided that they would magnanimously pardon him from their lofty thrones, despite his offenses.

His full preliminary account is here, and well worth reading. Here are some choice excerpts, with Ezra's admittedly mild expletives edited; my son reads this occasionally, and I'm not looking to expand his vocabulary in this sense just yet. Trust me, Ezra's occasional strong language is not at all uncalled for in context (and probably not as bad as what your mind will insert into the edits):

What a scam – on the part of the complainants, who were able to wage “lawfare” against an infidel without paying a cent; and on the part of the HRC, as a make-work project.

Fire. Them. All.
...

I’ve read the dismissal letter three times now, and each time it makes me more angry. Because I haven’t been given my freedom of the press. I’ve simply had the government censor approve what I said. That’s a completely different thing.

Pardeep Gundara – a second-rate bureaucrat, a nobody – had to give me his approval for me to be allowed to go back to my business.
...

I don’t [care] what Gundara or the HRC says. Getting his approval is not a success. I won't legitimize his arrogant "authority" by saying "thank you, master". I'll say: "who [...] are you? Besides a busy-body bureaucrat?"
...

It rather creeps me out that a whole squad of teat-sucking bureaucrats spent 900 days inspecting me and the Western Standard. I positively want to offend them. In fact, that’s pretty much the only test of my freedom: can I do exactly what Gundara says I shouldn't? I’m not interested in publishing recipes or sports scores. I’m interested in bothering the [...] out of the government.

This guy is a true hero. He's standing up for everyone's freedom in a meaningful way, unlike the vast majority of politically correct lemmings who think that sticking a rainbow flag on their desk, or a ribbon of whatever colour on their SUV's bumper, makes them a humanitarian. Ezra Levant has made significant personal sacrifices for the greater good. He could have done the equivalent of walking away by issuing a grovelling apology and promising not to do it again, but he didn't, because that wouldn't have been the right thing to do. Now that he's won, he could let the matter drop, but the bullies will just start over with a new, hopefully easier target, and he doesn't want that to happen.


Ezra, thank you. I hope your example encourages a lot more people to provoke, agitate, and refuse to show their bellies to the tyrants, whether those tyrants are wearing government ID badges or turbans and ZZ Top beards.


I sent a few bucks for Ezra's legal defense already. I may have to do it again very soon. The case may be over, but the legal bills still need to be paid. Besides, Ezra's essay indicates that he may not be done throwing rocks at this particular hornets' nest just yet, and I'd hate to see him run out of ammunition.


Enough rambling. Here's a picture of wrapping paper.

No comments: