Friday, February 1, 2008

Ambush Bug returns!

This post will be far more extemporaneous than most. Normally I plan my posts out ahead of time, write drafts and continue to edit and revise even after posting. This one's going straight out there, because I just read some really good news and want to talk about it:

Ambush Bug is coming back!

I was a serious comic book collector for almost twenty years, and I worked in a comic shop for five more (more stories about both of those to come). When it was all done, I wound up keeping one "short box" of comics and a bookshelf of trade paperbacks. All my other comics, many thousands of them, found their way out of my house one way or another.

I was always a Marvel fan in my hobby years - Spider-Man, especially. I had unbroken runs of about 150 issues each of Amazing Spider-Man and Spectacular Spider-Man, and I also spoke fluent X-Men and Avengers. Later on, though, my preferences switched more to DC, and most of the issues stowed away into that single box of comics for permament retention are DCs. I couldn't bear to part with my complete runs of Suicide Squad, Hitman, and, of course, Ambush Bug.

Ambush Bug was complete lunacy. Giff and Flem acknowledged no boundaries and left no sacred cow unbarbequed. To this day. "Mr. Brown is dead" cracks me up. (Or was it Mr. Green? Oh, well, same joke either way.)

I really, really hope this does better than the current Suicide Squad revival (which also features the original writer, John Ostrander, and would be selling huge quantities in a just world).


Enough rambling. Here's a picture of the stairs at a friend's house. No photo manipulation going on - the stairs are really this steep.

No comments: